Thursday, October 11, 2012

10/11/12. Final iPad Course Reflection.

10/11/12. Final iPad Course Reflection.

Risking a lack of creativity, I've decided to respond to each question individually for this reflection. So here goes....

What has been valuable learning for you?
The most valuable learning I have done during the duration of this course begins with myself and transfers to GEMS' students.

I have learned about myself as a learner, teacher and collaborator.
~LEARNER: I am a visual learner who learns by doing. I don't love taking risks with new things but I have learned that I can handle almost anything as long as I remember that there is support everywhere if I need it.
~TEACHER: Through the independent, exploratory nature of this course I have a new goal of embedding independent exploration time into my daily plans for instruction. MY WAY is not necessarily the RIGHT WAY. There are many possible paths in the process of creating. I have a new goal...stop talking so much and listen more.
~COLLABORATOR: Again, my way is not the ONLY WAY. I have gained a new sense of urgency in teaming with my colleagues. The connectedness that the iPad offers all of us is essential to educational collaboration in the 21st century. With the iPad we have the ability to meet, update, brainstorm and create in record time across long distances. I truly believe that once we become fluent with the use and capabilities of this tool, the sky is the limit for what we can do as a team for our students.

These 3 discoveries about myself connect directly to students as learners, teachers and collaborators. Expectations for students (as described in the Common Core State Standards) are evolving. Educators can no longer expect to simply open up our student's heads, pour the content in, close them back up and expect them to regurgitate this information during formal assessments. Students must be afforded the opportunity to access their learning, teaching, and collaboration skills in creative, authentic and meaningful ways in order to prepare for their futures. iPads and other technology like them are a means to this end.

What plans do you have for using the iPads with your students or in your job?
As mentioned above, , my first plan for the iPad is in collaboration and teaming. I have already begun using the iPad during building-based and SU meetings for note taking, creating & sharing documents, and research. I also plan to use the iPad as a student progress monitoring tool. Several apps that we have explored during this course lend themselves beautifully to documenting/capturing student work and analyzing this evidence in order to make instructional decisions. Using iPads with students to enhance their academic progress and provide them with 21st century learning opportunities in literacy is also a goal of mine. This is an area in which I continue to need support...

What do you feel you still need support with?
I am both excited and anxious when it comes to thinking about using iPads with students. I believe that I can find my way around my personal iPad well enough but assisting students with using this tool for creating and learning is a whole different ball game. I need lots of practice with work flow, vocabulary (iPad Speak) and basic classroom/small group iPad management before I will feel comfortable leading a group of students, especially young ones, into the 'land-of-iPad'. I'm not afraid to try because of what I have learned during this ipad course.

Many thanks to the kind and very patient instructors of this iPad course!

Pam Toof :o)



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment